In a ploy to kill a bit of time during a 6 Nations rest week, we’ve compiled a list of rugby players who share their name with a Disney character. Why? Well firstly, Disney films are awesome and secondly, why not? Enjoy.
1. Tendai ‘The Beast’ Mtawarira – Easy one to start with. That’s actually his nickname, so he’s in. Next.
2. ‘Ariel’ Mammana – Argentinean who made his test debut against Uruguay in 1991 whilst accompanied by the rhythmical musings of a Jamaican crab.
3. Ryan March ‘Hare’ – Canadian prop and lover of tea parties.
4. Eoin Sheriff ‘of Nottingham’ – well of Saracens actually and, in hindsight, Mr Sheriff could have made our Great Names XV.
5. James ‘Doc’ Hudson – Paul Newman’s racer-turned-mechanic 1951 Hudson Hornet in Cars.
6. ‘Remy’ Martin – ex-France flanker and rodent chef extraordinaire.
7. ‘King’ Louie ‘Duck’ McCarthy-Scarsbrook – bit of a mouth-full (and a slight cheat as we’ve imported him from League) but he’s got the same name as the Jungle Book’s King Louie and Louie Duck from DuckTales … obviously.
8. Dave ‘Merlin’ – flanker for Northampton Saints in the ’90s and magical attache to King Arthur in a previous life.
9. ‘Gus’ Black – British and Irish Lion of the 1940s who played his last test for Scotland in 1950, when Cinderella was released. Coincidence?
10 ‘Bernard’ Foley – the timid janitor of the Rescue Aid Society and the Waratahs fly-half.
11. Sean ‘Grand’ Duke – the Canadian winger entrusted with reuniting a certain glass slipper with its owner.
13. Eoin ‘Thomas’ O’Malley – promising young Leinster centre, recently forced to retire due to a knee injury, who shares a name with the Aristocats’ friendly neighbourhood alley cat.
13. ‘Rex’ L’Estrange – the loveably timid tyrannosaurus buddy of Buzz and Woody who also plied his trade in the centres for Australia in the ’70s.
14. Conor ‘Gaston’ – the London Irish winger who is vying for Belle’s hand in marriage.
15. ‘Bambi’ Coronel Densy – Ecuadorian utility back who plays for Spanish club champions La Vila, when not fleeing from a forest wildfire.
Have we missed any? We still need some replacements! Comment below if you’ve got any other good ones.